Monday, April 12, 2010

"La Sardana", the Catalan traditional dance



I am from Barcelona and yes, the Sardana it is part of my roots, part of my culture, part of what I am ... but I must admit that I learned once how to dance it and I don't remember. In my defence I will say that I was very young when, at school, a teacher showed us. It is one of the things I have to learn before I die. Every Sunday at 12:00, next to the Cathedral of Barcelona, you can see the "dançaires" (Sardana dancers) and you can also see Sardanes on special ocasions (Saint George Day, September 11th, etc.). People from various ages, hand-in-hand, making a circle and dancing. Sounds a bit strange, doesn't it?

The origins of Sardana are unknown. One more unknown to add to the list of great mysteries in Spain ... Lots of theories but nobody knows for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment